The VWnote is a handheld device which takes readings from vibrating wire (VW) sensors and stores them on the internal memory for retrieval later via a USB pen drive.
The VWnote can read most commercially available vibrating wire sensors.
- Portable and rugged
- Compatible with most commonly used VW sensors
- Real-time display of VW sensor readings in engineering units as well as in Hz, Hz2/1000 and period
- Fully configurable reading and displaying parameters of each sensor
- Large data storage (2GB) and easy data retrieval via a USB pen drive
- Firmware upgradable via USB pen drive by the user – no need for a PC and no need to return it back to factory
- Powered by four AA alkaline batteries with long battery life, 30 hours without backlight and 15 hours with backlight. User selectable backlight for the display, auto shutdown after six minutes of inactivity.
- Powerful features in a rugged and portable package; makes it easy to carry and operate in all site conditions
- Easy to follow menu makes taking readings on site simple, fast and error free
- The optional 15 VDC excitation, which provides higher energy excitation than the default excitation of 5 VDC, ensures quality readings for sensors with long cables
- A site ID and a sensor name are assigned to each sensor. This facilitates management of a large quantity of VW sensors from a large site or multiple sites
- Saved readings are grouped by dates which, together with the large internal memory, minimises data loss
- Each reading is displayed and recorded with readings in raw and engineering units
- The VWnote does not require a PC in the field to set up or download data, which means users of VWnote do not need to carry a site PC nor need to be computer literate to use VWnote.
The operation of the VWnote is driven by the onboard menu. The main menu gives access to all the VWnote’s functions including:
- READ – to take a reading of the VW sensor that is currently connected to the VWnote.
- SETUP – to add sensors to the list of sensors or to edit the sensor’s reading and displaying parameters, andcalibration factors.
- DATA TO USB – to transfer data stored in the VWnote’s internally memory to a USB pen drive.
- DATE/TIME – to display and change the date and time of the real-time clock in the VWnote.
- CFG EXPORT – to copy the sensor list and configuration in the VWnote to a USB pen drive
- CFG IMPORT – to copy a new sensor configuration file from a USB pen drive to the VWnote
- INFO – to display information in the VWnote, including serial number, firmware version, date and time, battery voltage andstorage status.
All that is required is to switch on, connect a sensor or plug in a pen drive and follow the menu.
The VWnote can be used to read Vibrating Wire sensors for geotechnical and structural monitoring. Typical applications include:
- Pore pressure monitoring
- Water level monitoring
- Strain monitoring
- Displacement monitoring
- Crack monitoring
- Load monitoring
- Pressure cell monitoring
VWnote can be used in projects such as bridges, tunnels, caverns, deep excavations, railways, highway, dams, slope stability, mines and buildings.